Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Cheese Factory Restaurant - WI Dells

If any of you find yourself in the Wisconsin Dells, be sure to check out the Cheese Factory Restaurant. It's a vegetarian restaurant that offers an interesting gluten-free options as well as vegan options in a peaceful setting right in the heart of the Wisconsin Dells.

The Cheese Factory makes what Rachel Ray claims to be one of four "over-the-top" grilled cheese sandwiches in the United States! It's a grilled cheese club sandwich consisting of three larges slices of bread, four different types of cheese, several slices of tomato and Italian seasoning.

In preparing for a recent visit to the Dells, I called ahead to see if they would make me their famous sandwich if I provided gluten-free bread. They agreed so long as they weren't busy when I was there as they wanted to make sure they could do so safely. We got there as soon as they opened while the grills were still clean and they made me their famous sandwich using SIX slices of Udi's bread. The sandwich turned out to be grilled cheese I've ever had in my life and much more than I could eat. Next time, yes, there will be a next time, I'll ask them to make it with three slices of bread. ;)